Welcome to Photo Two
DARKROOM and Film Based Photography

Please contact me, Paul Pearce, if you have any questions.
email: photo@properproof.com My phone is (315)455-2697 (Syracuse area).

I set up the website properproof.com/photo for information about the class and to showcase some student work..


Don't wait to get a camera - we will be using your camera early in the class, Film cameras are hard to buy locally.
You will probably have a used camera - make sure it works - batteries can be hard to find - I recommend shooting a short roll of color film and having it processed at a lab before class starts to make sure it functions.

You don't need the supplies for the first class but you will need them soon after. I will explain in detail during the first class.
Photo supplies can be expensive so I recommend stocking up before starting the class.
The bookstore has high prices so you might consider getting supplies at a photo store near your home or in Syracuse. There are many on-line sources also.


You should already know that you need a 35MM CAMERA that has manual control over the shutter speed and lens opening.
Please make sure the camera is in good working order and you have an EXTRA BATTERY for it. The instruction manual is also important (I work with a number of cameras but may not be familiar with yours)

If you are not sure if it is functioning, I suggest using the camera to shoot and develop a short roll of color film to check it out (any 1 hr developer is OK).

You will be experimenting with slow shutter speeds which requires a TRIPOD or other camera support.

Full size tripod


You may have a portable light from photo one- there are new LED lights that are inexpensive, cool and flexible.

The website has more details

We provide the chemicals, you will provide the film and paper.
The bookstore at Caz sells film and paper but it is more expensive than buying online or at a local photo store.


You will need both 35mm film and 120 film

We use 400 speed Black & White film-
35mm - 36 exposure length. You will need 10-14 rolls.
120 - aprox 5 or more rolls

Caution! Kodak makes a "Black & White" film Kodak Black & White 400 Plus
that can't be developed in our developer. Don't buy it for this class - it is otherwise a fine film.
It is designed to be developed with color film. Watch out for "process C-41 on the box.

It is important to get the correct paper- it comes in 25 sheet packages and 100 sheet boxes.
Most students use a whole box of 100 during a regular semester.
It is important that the paper is 8"X10" RC(Resin Coated), glossy and polycontrast (or multigrade).
Kodak Polycontrast and Ilford Multigrade paper are common papers students use.

Paper supplier links:



Make sure you get photographic paper, not digital- inkjet paper. Photographic paper can't be opened in room light.

Proper proof Home Photo class home