Welcome to Beginning Photography
DARKROOM and Film Based Photography

Please contact me, Paul Pearce, if you have any questions.
email: photo@properproof.com My phone is (315)455-2697 (Syracuse area).

I set up the website properproof.com/photo for information about the class and to showcase some student work.

Don't worry about any lack of photo or art background- anyone can do well if you have patience and follow directions.


You don't need the supplies for the first class but you will need them soon after. I will explain in detail during the first class.
Photo supplies can be expensive so I recommend stocking up before starting the class.
Oswego no longer has a camera store and the bookstore has high prices so you might consider getting supplies at a photo store near your home or in Syracuse. There are many on-line sources also.

You should already know that you need a 35MM CAMERA that has manual control over the shutter speed and lens opening.
Please make sure the camera is in good working order and you have an EXTRA BATTERY for it. The instruction manual is also important (I work with a number of cameras but may not be familiar with yours)

If you are not sure if it is functioning, I suggest using the camera to shoot and develop a short roll of color film to check it out (any 1 hr developer is OK).

You will be experimenting with slow shutter speeds which requires a TRIPOD or other camera support.

Full size and/or Table Top tripod

You also need an inexpensive portable light source with a compact fluorecsent bulb (Clamp LIght is OK)

The website has more details

We provide the chemicals, you will provide the film and paper.
We use 400 speed Black & White film- 36 exposure length. You will need 10-14 rolls.

Caution! Kodak makes a "Black & White" film Kodak Black & White 400 Plus
that can't be developed in our developer. Don't buy it for this class - it is otherwise a fine film.
It is designed to be developed with color film. Watch out for "process C-41 on the box.

It is important to get the correct paper- it comes in 25 sheet packages and 100 sheet boxes.
Most students use a whole box of 100 during a regular semester.
It is important that the paper is 8"X10" RC(Resin Coated), glossy and polycontrast (or multigrade).
Kodak Polycontrast and Ilford Multigrade paper are common papers students use.

Paper links:

Make sure you get photographic paper, not digital- inkjet paper. Photographic paper can't be opened in room light.

Proper proof Home Photo class home